County Court Clerk Offices have an abundance of paperwork from historical case files and legal proceedings that need scanned and saved in a digital format for preservation. In order to digitally preserve these files, one County Court Clerk Office had their employees take several manual steps before these documents are legible for scanning.
- Hand tracing over legal stampings for darkening
- Hand-keying pertinent information
- Using a copy machine to adjust the document’s brightness
This process is 100% manual classification, and 100% manual data entry. It has taken years for them to get even a portion of this backfile scanned due to the massive staffing requirements associated with a manual process. All of these steps are time-consuming, tedious, and possibly leave room for errors such as over-looking stamps, information, etc.
In order to reduce this County Court Clerk Office’s workload and help eliminate such errors, Grooper was installed to replace the old manual method for scanning and indexing the backfile.
The benefits to installing Grooper into this office are:
- Automated Classification – Grooper is able to automatically assign documents types, and learn new document types as the need arises.
- Automated Data Extraction – Grooper is able to automatically locate and extract the fields listed below. The plaintiff and defendant fields are the most time-consuming to enter manually, as they can have multiple entries. Grooper is able to automatically find and parse the style header at the top to extract this information, as well as reformat it to the way they index them into EMC ApplicationXtender.
o Case No
o Stamp Filed Date
- Scan Once™ – Grooper’s ScanOnce™ feature saves them an immeasurable amount of time. The historical documents they are scanning are old, and they have to take some pretty extreme measures to obtain good quality images. Going forward, they will be able to make these adjustments while indexing the documents, making their document prep and scan process much more efficient.
Today, this County Court Clerk’s office is now able to scan up to 400 pages in a matter of minutes and produce clean, digital-ready documents for their historical case files and legal proceedings.
BIS has built a solid reputation as a full -service information technology provider and integrator of high quality document and data management systems. Since our founding in 1986, we have continually kept pace with the ever changing landscape. Our solutions portfolio is one of the most diverse and trusted in the industry. Headquartered in Edmond, Oklahoma, we offer the best technologies in the market today. The BIS team will design, develop and install a solution that best fits your business. Contact us today!