Document Capture Software – Save Time and Get Better Results
Discover Advanced Document Capture Software
Big improvements in enterprise document capture and management stopped decades ago. But now, there’s an intelligent capture software that provides modern solutions to document problems.
As a result, organizations are digitally transforming workflows and can seamlessly manage documents and integrate them into any CMS or business software.
Now, because of intelligent document processing, our Grooper capture solutions are driving new innovations in all industries.
These innovations are happening through great data extraction from physical documents and electronic documents. So fast and efficient document capture is needed.
Easily Scan & Manage Documents
Step 1: Scan Documents
Scan, save and share documents quickly and easily. You can save and use files in standard formats like jpg, PDF, or tiff, among others.
Grooper intelligent data capture provides full control of document images or PDF files:
- Share scanner profiles among all users. No need to independently configure each scan station separately. This is an incredibly helpful functionality when administering remote stations.
- Copy and paste using the Windows Clipboard.
- Print, email, and export documents.
- Native computer visual classification at scan time.
- Native support for large-format scanners. With Grooper, there is no need to pre-process large pages with a different software platform.
In addition, we have features that greatly reduce costly re-scans.
Step 2: Enhance Document Images
Image cleanup can be performed during scanning without any third-party add-ons, or at any time in the workflow to help in cleaning up images.
Grooper features over 60 image cleanup commands to choose in an image processing profile. Patented image processing software and computer vision provide all the tools needed to adjust how your documents are captured. These commands include:
- Converting a document from color to black and white. This is a simple way to clean up a document in order to get better capture results. Grooper includes several ways to do this.
- A color adjustment to help with data capture by making whites white areas of documents even whiter and dark text darker.
- Correct Skew
- Automatically straighten any skewed document images.
- Lighten up dark image and bright colors on any document.
And at no point will you need to re-scan a document using different scanner settings in an attempt to get a better image.
Robust data review screens provide users workflows to correct any problems with a document’s scanned image. Built-in image clean-up algorithms automatically correct common defects introduced during scanning.
Permanent and Temporary Document Image Profiles
Grooper also lets you choose to use either a temporary or permanent image processing profile:
- A permanent IP profile is what you’d normally think of – anything that’s making permanent changes to the image. This includes rotating, de-skewing, cropping, adjusting gamma, etc.
- A temporary IP profile is run behind the scenes when Grooper is performing OCR on a page, and helps it read the text as accurately as possible. An OCR profile has to convert an image to black and white in order to read it, but by default it may not do a great job preserving text.
So a temporary IP profile will convert images to black and white with the best settings for your particular documents. You can then add in as many commands as possible to remove unnecessary shapes from the page so OCR software has no confusion. You can remove lines, boxes, negative regions, stamps, hole punches, blobs, specks, etc. The better you can make the text look here, the better your OCR results, which gives you better data extraction.
Explore Compatible Scanners and Products
You can connect to more than 400 scanners using ISIS or TWAIN drivers. Let Grooper take care of image cleanup settings for beautiful and perfect scans.
Do you have a fleet of different types of scanners? No problem. Simply apply scanning features based on the model of scanner.
Or do you need to scan microfiche or aperture cards? Grooper even has native integration with Mekel high-speed scanners. This feature offloads image processing from scanner hardware to maximize scan speed.
Grooper is FAST! We have saved time using Grooper and it has been easier to use than our previous program.
“It makes it easier to teach new scanners the procedure since we train young college students to do the bulk of our scanning on a part-time basis.
“I love how fast it is and how easy. We scan by large batches. Several offices on our campus scan, but do not need to scan in large batches like we do. The procedure with Grooper has cut our scan time down and made each step much easier than our previous program.”
– Dorothy W.
Quickly Review Any Problem Document Images and Save Time
To easily manage documents in your system, you first need to capture information from paper documents or. So the documents’ image quality is critical.
The Grooper Rapid Image Review interface groups document images together by height, width, intensity, and aspect ratio:
This naturally brings images with similar defects together in order to quickly correct issues without having to look at every single image.
ScanOnce™ is an intelligent document capture feature that allows users to restore the original unmodified image at any point in a processing workflow or later. This eliminates any need to perform costly re-scans and greatly improves document management.
Case Study: Document Capture Software at Warp Speed
Because of native integration with Grooper scanning hardware, scan operators can run equipment at top speed without sacrificing quality.
How? Offloading any document capture and image pre-processing work to Grooper frees up limited scanner resources to enable top hardware performance.
How to Capture Documents in a Flash
Documents such as microfiche have been a standard format for archiving because it made it easy to index and store files. Court records are one example of documents stored on microfiche in a document management system, and many government agencies have saved vast numbers of documents in this manner.
Grooper provides end-to-end capture with a faster workflow and cleaner images resulting in more accurate OCR data.
- To scan quickly, Grooper sorts document image “tiles” and organizes them into subfolders. So, if there are 7 strips with 22 tile images in each strip, users see 7 folders, each containing 22 images.
- The image tiles are then stitched into a low resolution preview of the entire fiche card. This provides a visual reference for quick review.
- Grooper detects the frames around individual image tiles and extracts each into individual images.
This is how the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission was able to scan, OCR, extract, and integrate critical metadata on over 20 million pages in 9 just months.
GET THE CASE STUDY:
Document Capture and Scanning FAQs
What is Document Capture Software?
Document capture software is a technology that automates the process of scanning paper documents or importing electronic documents to recognize and capture important data. Document capture software can extract data off virtually every format of document, including highly structured, semi-structured and unstructured documents.
After data recognition and capture, the documents are classified and stored in a central repository (like a document management system), and data is validated and injected into databases or downstream business systems.
The scanned paper is converted to a digital document, and can exist in any number of image file formats, such as JPG, TIFF, PDF, BMP, etc. Metadata can be extracted out of documents that can help users to search and find the correct document in management systems.
Sometimes also known as document processing, capture heavily relies on optical character recognition (OCR) and document imaging technologies.
How Does Document Capture Software Work?
There are 5 phases to document capture software:
1) Ingest / Import: Paper documents are imported through scanning and electronic documents (like PDFs with electronic text) are directly imported to the software.
2) Prepare and Extract: There is much that happens in this phase, which begins with image processing. It cleans up and transforms document images into formats that are easily readable by the software.
, recognize text, correct OCR, review,